Nicole Mortimer is the founder and owner of ZippyJamz. She is an innovator and a busy mom of two children, who loves finding simple solutions to empower parents to make their lives easier. Nicole is a business owner who strives to make meaningful connections with all suppliers, manufacturers, contractors, and customers to create the best products and end-to-end experience possible.
Founded in 2015, ZippyJamz were developed to make diaper changing quick and easy for parents and keep babies warm and comfortable.
What to Expect
- ZippyJamz, a simple yet revolutionary product
- Expanding in 47 states and going global
- From Target to Laifa Baby, an employee to entrepreneur story
- Taking advantage of pitch competitions
- How referrals help you get the right people
- The 3 fundamental business principles
- Authenticity, the key to building relationships
- Talk to people and build your network
- The Patent process
- How Provisional Patent can secure your idea
- Busy versus Productive
Tips on Getting a Patent
- Do a thorough prior art search
- Keep Googling
- Know what invalidates your novel idea
- Do not send your ideas to anyone, online
- Learn more about provisional patent
The Benefits of Provisional Patent
- It saves you money
- You can write it yourself
- Templates are available online
- You can personalize different sections
- It gives you a grace period of a year
- You can make amendments
Making Business Idea Comes to Life
- Talk about your idea
- Seek market validation
- Make sure everything chugs along
- File full patent
Build Your Network and Establish Relationships
- Get out there
- Introduce yourself
- Go to pitch competitions
- Go to networking nights
- Seek help from people
- Share your real experiences
- Have a frequent conversation
- Communicate frequently
- Invest in people
The 3 Fundamental Business Principles
- Continuous learning
- Clear communication
How to Be Productive
- Do not try to do everything all the time
- Learn Time blocking
- Be realistic about your task
- Review your to do list
- Reach out to a mentor
- Break the tasks into smaller steps
USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office)
- “ZippyJamz is a simple, relatable and quality product that was born out of huge necessity and my goal is to help parents out there”.
- “Sometimes, it is the little thing that can make the difference”.
- “Never underestimate the value of anyone who can bring something to your business, even though they might not seem like a good fit”.
- “Never shut somebody out or shut that door because you don’t think its match”.
- “Do not be afraid of what people might think of you when you are having a bad day, it’s OK to have a bad day, when you are having a great day, share that excitement and that joy. Do not pretend like something you are not. Be authentic”.
- “Try and start the business before you have kids”.
- “How do you build a network? Just ask, people want to help, people want to feel useful”.
Get started and keep moving forward, keep doing things, keep reaching out to people and keep asking questions.
Make that conscious effort to do things that matter to your business every single day.